The University of California, San Francisco has been at the forefront of addressing healthcare disparities and community health needs, while prioritizing diversity within its own campus. However, the problem of under-representation of minority providers in the health care field continues to persist, and the importance of ensuring a diverse healthcare workforce for the future of California cannot be overstated. The Multicultural Resource Center is committed to supporting underrepresented students, faculty, and staff through engaging programs and events. Our major programs include UC Diversity Pipline Initiative and Underrepresented in Health Sciences Mentorship Dinners.
UC Diversity Pipline Initiative
Underrepresented in Health Sciences Mentorship Dinners
UIHS Mentorship Dinner Series is open to students and faculty across all UCSF schools: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Graduate Division, and Physical Therapy. The series is an opportunity for underrepresented students and faculty to discuss various career development topics and plan 1-1 mentoring opportunities. Past workshops covered Social Belonging in Professional Settings, Negotiation, Relationships, Career Life Balance, and Interprofessional Collaboration.
Building the Next Generation of Academic Physicians
The BNGAP conference is OPEN TO ALL but are tailored to encourage trainees (medical students, residents, PhDs) who are underrepresented in medicine (women, LGBTQ, and racial and ethnic minorities) to consider academic medicine careers .
During the 1 1⁄2 day event, learners will be able to:
• Explore academic medicine careers to fit with their personal and professional interests.
• Navigate the array of academic medicine career paths and opportunities.
• Develop and enhance their academic medicine portfolio.
• Expand their network among academic medicine colleagues and role models.
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Academic Medicine Workforce
- Academic Medicine Career Roles and Responsibilities
- Building a Supportive Career Team
- Leadership Development
- Educational Scholarship
- Research Scholarship
- Service Scholarship
- Academic Medicine Career Portfolios and Promotion
- Finding an Academic Residency
- Finding an Academic Position After Residency